A teenager is facing prosecution for using the word "cult"
to describe the Church of Scientology.

The unnamed youth was served the summons by City of London
police when he took part in a peaceful demonstration opposite
the London headquarters of the controversial religion.

Demonstrators from the anti-Scientology group, Anonymous, who
were outside the church's £23m headquarters near St Paul's
cathedral, were banned by police from describing Scientology
as a cult because it was "abusive and insulting".

Liberty director, Shami Chakrabarti, said: "This barmy
prosecution makes a mockery of Britain's free speech
traditions. After criminalising the use of the word 'cult',
perhaps the next step is to ban the words 'war' and 'tax'
from peaceful demonstrations?"

Ian Haworth, from the Cult Information Centre which
provides advice for victims of cults and their families,
said: "This is an extraordinary situation. If it wasn't
so serious it would be farcical. The police's job is to
protect and serve. Who is being served and who is being
protected in this situation? I find it very worrying.

"Scientology is well known to my organisation, and has
been of great concern to me for 22 years. I get many
calls from families with loved ones involved and ex-members
who are in need of one form of help."

The City of London police came under fire two years ago
when it emerged that more than 20 officers, ranging from
constable to chief superintendent, had accepted gifts worth
thousands of pounds from the Church of Scientology.

Full article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/20/1