--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, satvadude108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Thank you and I hope your injuries are speedily healing.
>
> The recent events in UK legal history regarding anti-terrorist
legislation
> does interest me. While I don't follow it closely, as time and
sources are
> in short supply, the larger picture has implications on this side
of the pond.
> The tensions between free speech, civil liberties, and those
legislative trends
> is troubling. The coupling with religion and the scientologists
truly makes
> it fascinating. The debates are healthy.
>
> I too hope the kid gets off.
>
> Should you ever feel inclined to write about post 9/11 changes in
civil
> liberties and increased governmental surveillance I would surely
read
>  with interest. Should you encounter articles regarding these
issues,
> pointing me in their direction would be appreciated. The reports I
have
> read in our press gives the impression of a very visible rise in
video
> cameras in public spaces in the UK. My impression is this is
steadily
> growing on a much less obvious and overt level in the US. These
trends
> disturb me.

> Observing the differences involved and the tenor of the debate
hopefully
> gives me some greater degree of cultural perspective. I live in the
US. It
> is my home. We Yanks like to think we are believers in liberty. I
sometimes
> wonder if a slowly creeping loss of liberty, on several levels,
isn't more
> insidious than sudden forfeiture. Mindfully monitoring those changes
> may be a way of turning the trend.
>
> Again, my best healing thoughts go your way.

Thanks man, much appreciated. I am indeed healing well
and should make be able to make the most of the summer,
should we actually get one this year.

I'm a bit pushed for time today but will try to reply
soonn, especially about our surveillance society, will
also keep an eye on the press here for any articles that
may interest you. The government is in trouble at the
moment, and may have to scale down it's latest
anti-terror legislation, or they may make it worse in a
bid to win votes by being "tough on crime".

If the scientology kid gets actually charged with this
"crime" I'm sure there will be demonstrations outside
parliament, and I will be there!