> However, it should be pointed out that the
> idea of 'brainwashing' or 'mind control,
> vis a vis, 'cults' has almost been totally
> discredited.

By whom?  Want a nice example?  The child solders of Africa.

It is not completely understood like much of modern understanding of
the mind.  But coercive persuasion and thought reform as detailed in
Lifton's work are an important piece in our understanding of the
relationship of our social and private mental natures.

Of course specific cases can be shot full of holes in a court of law
as does almost every theory of the soft sciences every day.  That has
nothing to do with its scientific usefulness as a theory to help us
understand ourselves better.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"