<snip>
> Nothing they have seen on planet Earth should
> lead them to believe that other sentient beings
> are any more intelligent or less warlike than
> the humans around them. And yet they persist in
> believing not only this, but that they will be
> the "saviors of mankind."

Well, actually, there's a very solid logical basis
basis for thinking they are, at the very least, way
way more technologically advanced than we are, which
would probably mean they've been around a lot longer,
which might well mean they're more intelligent and
less warlike.

(Caveat: I don't think UFOs or "close encounters"
have anything to do with extraterrestrial beings,
nor do I think whatever *is* involved will be the
"saviors of [hu]mankind." I'm just playing devil's
advocate.)