> On Jun 2, 2008, at 4:53 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > Jim, I'll try to say it another way. You write
> > and/or deliver training, right? Well, so do I.
> > If you had been a trainer in a corporation that
> > had hired you to talk to some of its employees
> > about the nature of enlightenment and why it
> > would be of value to them, you would have been
> > graded POOR, and never allowed to come back and
> > teach there again. Given the standards of the
> > companies I work with, and what they expect in
> > a trainer and in the level of his presentation
> > and knowledge of the subject, the corporation
> > would have demanded a refund, and would have
> > gotten it.
>

> Two key things I've noticed in highly realized beings is that 1)
they
> don't tell you they're enlightened, as it's usually plainly
obvious
> to those who can benefit and 2) one of the reasons for 1 is it
causes
> confusion the arise in those who could otherwise benefit. Highly
> realized beings typically aren't interested in fostering
confusion,
> usually the opposite. Witness the bad action and confusion that
has
> arisen from the Rev. Ego's pronouncements. This is the opposite
of
> enlightened action IMO. Go to almost any neoadvaita satsang like
ones
> I've witnessed in New England or FF and you'll see a well of
> confusion--but they all think it's the greatest thing. But in
general
> they just seem to be brewing ground for confusion and delusion
and
> ego. Almost all are still at the state of talking about
experiences,
> they still have not transcended that basic need: no "Self
Referral"
> just self referral (i.e. ego referral). These groups may be good
in a
> support group kind of way, and have a potential feel good vibe,
which
> ego reinforcement can temporally bring, but the samsaric patterns
are
> really quite obvious.
>
> The problem with self referral (small "s"), when you are mutually
> reinforcing ego, you always get a good grade, because egotists
love
> to have their egos massaged and reinforced. It's really a kind of
> baby awakening codependent support system where they confuse
> meditative experiences for realization.

I can appreciate the need some like you have for placing
enlightenment on a pedestal and feeling all special about it, with
so many shoulds and shouldn'ts, but I personally think that it is
perfectly valid to let others know that there isn't a man behind the
curtain, that this state can be achieved by normal people, and that
the need to obfuscate the attainment of permanent enlightenment
behind a bunch of esoterica and fancy language serves nobody.