Marek wrote:
> However, the historical Buddha apparently
> arrived at his awakening after (if not
> necessarily because of) the pursuit and
> practice of methods that were part of an
> already long-existing enlightenment/moksha
> tradition.

Actually, the historical Buddha seems to have
rejected most of the systems prevalent in his
time: asceticism, skepticism, materialism, and
nihilism, and theism, as well as most of the
conclusions of the Vedic rishis. He also
rejected the notion of the indvidual soul
monad espoused by the Upanishadic thinkers.

> The Upanishads were already written and
> discussed among practitioners and seekers
> when Buddha was teaching his take on what
> realization was.  The enlightenment tradition
> didn't spring, full-blown from Buddha, but
> was articulated and renewed by him.

It has not been established that the Upanishads
were composed before the advent of the
historical Buddha. History in India begins with
the historical Buddh - everything before that
is considerd to be pre-history, and is mostly
pure conjecture.

All I can say is that if the Upanishads had
been composed before the Shakya, he would
have mentioned them by name and author, but
he did not, although he enumerated almost
all the prevelanet systems of his time.

We may safely assume however, that the yoga
system was pre-Vedic, since the Vedas do not
mention any yoga techniques. Where it came
from is still disputed, but I suspect it
came out of what is now southern India.