Jim wrote:
> Listening to Obama I get the sense of
> someone who is consumately aware of what
> he is facing as President, and how to
> handle it...

Actually he sounds pretty confused to me.
He just left his church and denounced his
own pastor. Then backed down on talking
to the terrorists without preconditions.

Now he's talking about making going to war
with Iran and making Jerusalem the
capital of Israel with a cement wall
around it. I always thought Tel Aviv was
the capital of Israel.

> As for the war we have started...

So, what do you think Obama will do about
the Palestinian problem? Or Darfur? Or
Somalia?

> it is the definitive statement on our
> impotence and incoherence as a country,

Maybe the definitive statement on our
impotence was when we retreated from Somalia
on a United Nations mission when a single
Black Hawk went down.

> to blindly kill others in lieu of working
> out our global differences another way.

Are you suggesting that the U.S. 'can work'
something out with Osama bin Laden?

> I think the best way to win this war is
> to withdraw,

Are you suggesting that we withdraw U.S.
forces from Afghanistan and NATO? That does
not make any sense, Jim. We are NATO allies.

> and begin serious negotiations with our
> enemies.

So, you think the United States has enemies.
We should never negotiate with terrorists.
Even Obama is not advocating that.

> Nothing facile and naive, but something
> with teeth.

Like what? Give up our support for Israel?
Obama does not advocate that either.

> We still have access to, and control a lot
> of this planet's wealth.

Maybe we could buy Burma with our wealth. But
would you be willing to pay for it?

> Surely we can use this as leverage against
> others, vs. attempting to bomb and blast
> them into submission.

Maybe we could buy Darfur.

"Speaking today to the American Israel Public
Affairs Committee, Obama won applause with a
promise to "do everything in my power to
prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon."

Read more:

'Obama seeks to reassure Jewish Americans'
By Johanna Neuman
Los Angeles Times, June 5, 2008
http://tinyurl.com/5rsnf2

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian President
Mahmoud Abbas rejected Barack Obama's call on
Wednesday for Jerusalem to be the undivided
capital of Israel and repeated his demand for
a Palestinian capital in the city.

'Abbas slams Obama Jerusalem comment'
Reuters, June 4, 2008
http://tinyurl.com/3no2xg