> But Jim was addressing the issue of whether MMY had
> empathy. Do you deny that the intention to eliminate
> suffering (whether it's accomplished or not) indicates
> empathy?

"O ye of the peaceless and suffering humanity..."

This view of people other than himself is part of his condescension
similar to his assertion that other people are living a life in
ignorance.  Hitler also had a very powerfully positive message for his
society, but he lacked a bit of empathy too.  Claiming to eliminate
suffering in all mankind is part of a grandiose fantasy of his
importance in the world. But when you see him interact with people,
his lack of ability to understand their POV was striking.  He would
just sort of assert his own POV, sometimes using rhymes of words the
other person had used to make it superior position clear. I can't
think of any case where I saw him demonstrate empathy in the way you
or I would.

> Because saying "This is very conceptual" and that MMY
> didn't eliminate *your* suffering isn't a rebuttal of
> the assertion that MMY's intention to eliminate
> suffering shows that he had empathy.

Seeing all people as "suffering" is really a shallow understanding on
the human condition IMO.  My life is not characterized by suffering
but I have benefited from it, as I have all my human experiences.  In
fact suffering as an experience can deepen a capacity for empathy.
When I was a kid and my parents took care of my needs I didn't
understand their sacrifices.  After a few year of being on my own I
really "got" the value of money and what it takes to spend it on a
loved one.  The goal of eliminating all suffering in mankind is a
childish dream IMO.  Especially suspect because he sold his solution
and made millions from it.

I guess these days I am more impressed with a guy like Bill and
Melinda Gates for examples of real world wide empathy rather then
people like Maharishi who used his saving mankind as part of the sales
pitch for his product.

> <snip>
> > Did TM eliminate your suffering Judy?
>
> Certainly has reduced it, more and more over time.
> Again, though, that's irrelevant to the issue of
> whether it's what MMY intended.

I just can't see you as being summed up as "suffering" Judy.  We both
won the genetic lottery of life by the circumstances of our birth.
Neither of us should have a right to claim "suffering" as our
condition. We may have experienced hard times and sorrows in life.
But there are literally millions and millions of people ahead of us
who could call their total life "suffering."  One of Maharishi's
slippery tricks was to convince a bunch of Westerners with every
advantage in the world that they were suffering and that he could sell
us the cure.