> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@>
> wrote:

> > > It mighta also invite the scrutiny of the IRS.
> > >
> > > Aren't some churches getting their tax-exempt status reviewed
> because
> > > they've been playing politics as of late?
> > >

> > TMO isn't a registered church.
>

> Of course it isn't.
>
> But it does have tax-exempt status...and my invoking churches wasn't
> because they were churches per se but because churches also have tax-
> exempt status.
>
> Lobbying groups are not tax exempt.

I work on occasion lobbying for a tax exempt organization.  Some
lobbying can be done, but there are limitations in how much money the
organization can spend and the organization has to register and report
under 501(h) unless the lobbying is insubstantial. Churches cannot
make this kind of election but educational institutions can.

Here is an article that talks about what tax exempt organizations can
and can't do in the political arena:

http://www.muridae.com/nporegulation/lobbying.html