On Jul 26, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Bhairitu wrote:

> However we're getting a bit offtrack here and most yogis will tell you
> that mantras on the aural level have the same effect at the mental
> level
> but are even more powerful there.  Again most of them who have given
> it
> much thought in terms of sound physics would say it is resonance and
> how
> the nervous system resonates with the mantra.  And that is why
> different
> mantras have different effects.  If there are people here who don't
> experience that well maybe later....

Well another important concept is the idea of rhythmic entrainment,
that certain frequencies cause a locked entrainment in other objects
(e.g. "sympathetic vibration"). If this can happen in physical
objects, why not the brain, a physical object connected to both our
ears and our thoughts? I think it would be fairly easy to show how
different musical modes affect people differently by doing EEG studies
of people listening to different musics in differing modes. Clearly
this was something recognized long ago in the west, as I believe the
Roman Catholic Church even forbade certain modes. Some were considered
sinister or diabolical. I'm sure, had it been heard by church
officials, the minor pentatonic with a flatted 5th (the Blues scale)
would have surely been deemed subjectively and objectively "demonic".
Certain modes, like Phrygian IIRC, were believed to make people go
insane.

This same principle is also behind the idea of blues and Rock & Roll
being "the devil's music". It's sinistroversus, left-turning, and
probably hits sympathetic neural receptors in the right brain. Very
scary when you spent a lifetime locked into the the left brain.