Was this the Shankaracharya that Mahesh "owned"?--there was one that
was basically 'bought and sold'. Just a like a special interest group
buying for legislation, influence, etc. That's all I needed to hear,
esp. given all the other improprieties.

In general the Shankaracharyas are not only realized--and the only ones
who ever claimed M. was enlightened was his followers--they had to have
expertise in the scriptures. Since M. relies heavily on pundits for his
knowledge, in this case 'two strikes and you're out'. The most powerful
of the seats, Sringeri (Shankaras seat), from what I could tell
spending a lot of time with the sanyasis, they considered M. an
aberration and a 'seller of the Veda'. Many felt he was headed to
Patala-loka...