yifuxero wrote:
> ---So what?

So, there's no 'OM' in the most popular mantra
in India. Most people who live in India don't
chant 'OM'. According to Marshy, householders
probably should not be chanting the 'OM'.

The 'OM' is for monks and renunciates. Chanting
the 'OM' is not for the householders.

> Of what significance is the fact that there's
> no OM in the Hare Krishna mantra?

The point is that householders shouldn't be
fooling around with nonsense syllables meant for
the renounced order. Householders should be just
meditating using tantric bija mantras and fooling
around with their wives or husbands.

> The Hare Krishna's (unbeknownst to most
> people), also chant the Gayatri mantra.

So, what?

> Although there's no OM in the Gayatri in the
> Rig Veda (Tat through Prachodayat);

Let me repeat: there's no 'OM' in the Vedas.

> some clever Rishi tacked on the Om Bhur Bhuvah
> Svah, which the Hare Krishna's chant.

The invention of the 'OM' came long after some
clever Rishi tacked on Bhur Bhuvah. After that
came the invention of the 'Svah', the crack
sound used at the end of the Homa sacrifice.

'Svaha' is the protection mantra, which is used
along with the right-handed finger snap, in
order to clear the air of any asparshas who
might be lingering around.

> Muktananda's group chants Om Namah Shivaya.

Yes, but the 'OM' and the 'Namah' are just like
the fertilizer and the 'Shivaya' us really just
Sanskrit words, a nickname for a dead hero
- not really a tantric bija mantra at all.

> But again, why are you making a "case" out of
> this?

All you have to do is stop the fooling around
with the'OM' and give up all your striving.
You are going to get only as much enlightenment
as you are going to get.

> Who cares?

It was really embarrasing when the Muktananda
came to see the Marshy and the Mukta got up on
the stage to chant the 'OM' - it's just silly
to act like that in front of people. I hope
you don't do stuff like that in public.