> ...knowledge about oil and gas depends on your
> knowledge of the industry, not your proximity
> to oil wells.

This is a joke, right?

> in fact proximity to oil wells means proximity
> to oil companies and their lobbying money.

Maybe we should ask Joe Biden about that, since he's
been a Washington insider for 36 years.

> I suggest she study the studies at the Energy
> Information Administration which make very clear
> that additional offshore drilling in US will have
> "insignificant" impact on gasoline prices and not
> any impact for about 9 yrs.

We're 9 years too late, but that's no excuse to not
begin now. But in an election, appearances mean a lot,
so it's pretty apparent who wants to do the drilling
and who wants to do nothing but check tire air
pressure.

> So I'd say Palin's proximity to big oil money is
> what's key here.

"Amid $135 oil, it ought to be an easy, bipartisan
victory to lift the political restrictions on energy
exploration and production. Record-high fuel costs
are hitting consumers and business like a huge tax
increase. Yet the U.S. remains one of the only
countries in the world that chooses as a matter of
policy to lock up its natural resources. The Chinese
think we're insane and self-destructive, while the
Saudis laugh all the way to the bank."

Read more:

'$4 Gasbags'
Wall Street Journal, June 12, 2008