The difference between "spontaneous samadhi" and "spacing out" is
that nothing is accomplished by spacing out except escape. It is a
little like being dead. Caused by actions leading to a big dosha
imbalance.

Spontaneous samadhi (is there really unspontaneous samadhi?)is real,
grounded, effective and useful. There is no limitation on action
while in samadhi, whereas it is downright dangerous to drive a car
for example while spacing out.

> It may well be that many "great Indian saints" who were said to go
into
> "spontaneous samadhi" were just "spacing out."  We know how
Indians are
> and they'll make such overblown observations.  Brigante said a
while
> back that on his TTC that Maharishi said "Indians were like
Americans on
> drugs."  I think, unless they have been exposed and have had to
adapt to
> western culture (such as Indians who attend universities her to
get
> advanced degrees) they often have the emotional maturity of an 11
year
> old. But that also suggests a vata disposition.
>
> Meditation of any kind, as ayurveda states, usually increases the
ether
> element.  It is to help you rise about the muddy earth element.
But
> what if you are already a "space case."  I would lay the spaciness
more
> to bad vegetarian diet or having such a diet if it is
inappropriate for