> It's been 25 years or more since I
> had any real physical contact with the TMO, and 8 years
> or so since I had much contact with anyone from the
> Rama trip.

16 years for me.

> But both organizations had something in
> common, something *lacking*, that I've become aware
> of in the time since.  The thing that was lacking was
> a sense of sangha -- community.
>
> I'm rapping about it here to see if those who have
> lived in Fairfield can shed a different, possibly more
> positive light on the subject.  For me, in the fourteen
> years I was involved in the TM community, it rarely
> struck me as being that much of a community.  There
> was shared knowledge, and shared techniques, and a
> shared lifestyle, and a shared goal -- enlightenment.
> With all those things going for it, it should have
> logically been an environment in which people cared
> about each other deeply, and were there to help one
> another if they got into a spot of emotional trouble.

Most of the time in the movement I was sort of on an island within the
movement, agroup between 10 to max. 30 people, who were sworn
together, and that was the Meru Press. I really loved that place, even
though it was challenging at times. Challenging because we worked
harder, it was a press, and there were these infamous rush jobs. So
really, we were a group, a sangha. So those people who stayed in it,
who weren't just passing through cared about each other, and we were
talking freely about everything with friends. Many people were talking
about their doubts openly, many left and came back later on.

On Purusha I found a similar situation with acertain group of people
which was self-selected, that is the people whom you liked to hang out
with. That was not necessarily your official group. When I left, that
is, I had to leave - it was ultimately decided by Maharishi himself -
as I had but this enquiry where I belonged to before him - I was
already deeply committed to Mother Meera - so, when I had to leave, I
wanted to do it quickly, without big notice and without talking to
everybody. Some of my friends had got wind of it, and visited me in
the evening. Some even expressed their admiration. One said he felt
the atmosphere of love in my room. All of my friends expressed their
symphathy for me, some gifted presents. Sure, there were others I
didn't have much contact with, who might have looked down on me, who
had what you call the cult-mindset. Yet even with those, nobody
thought that I had gone off evolution, they simply thought that when
on Purusha, one shouldn't be involved with another saint, and they had
their own preference for Maharishi. I still have occassional contact
with some of the Purushas, many ex by now, but some still on. For
example I met up with one of them at the Kumbha Mela 2001.

> But it really wasn't like that, in my experience.  It
> was more like one's fellow seekers were nice to have
> around as long as they were "on the program."  The
> "program" was more important than the people following
> the program.
>
> Go slightly "off" the program, and one learned *very*
> quickly just where one stood within the sangha.  If
> you expressed a few doubts, it started with shunning,
> and could progress to apostasy and excommunication if
> you didn't keep your mouth shut.

Certainly it was not liked people to be critical, but honestly there
wasn't much control about it. I knew people who were constantly
cynical about things. Yet,I must say, one time, there was this 'clear
up', which came from Maharishi directly via international call, where
he asked people to 'report' people who spread 'negativity' - you know
the infamous CIA talk again. This was the most weird experience I had
on Purusha, but it wasn't typical at all. It was exactly the same
situation that tempted me to come up with my own 'inquiry' about were
I belonged to. I wrote 2 letters to the administration, from which
were in excerpts later read to Maharishi, which finally led to my
dismissal. This situation was certainly cult-like, extremely, but up
until then, - in practise - it wasn't. The whole thing lasted for
about 2 month, and one of my friends, got the most 'negative' votes
(for being negative.) These people were then put off the group
programme, the last week or so. This was my last week on Purusha.
There were about ten people in this group, I being one of them, but
not for 'negative' comments, but because of the situation I had
brought up from my own side. During this time, I found much symphathy
from the administration, and of course from my friends. Incidenty,
this period was spiritually the most intense I had ever experienced up
until then, because I was suddenly 'overshadowed' by the most sweet
and intimate Divine presence I had ever encountered . I didn't do
anything for it, I didn't make any decission myself (I could have at
any point said that I had decided for MMY and wouldn't see MM anymore,
or i could have simply left of course), but the presence that
enveloped my was independent from what I thought or did. While the
others, who were in 'quarantaine' were growing longer and longer faces
everyday, being afraid of dismissal, I grew more blissful every day.
Then, in the end, I was the only one sent away, and all the others
were 'rehabilitated', that is could stay. Incidentally, some of the
people who had interviewed me from the administration side,became real
friends even after, and even came here. The person who told me about
MMY's decission, a very sweet french Purusha is now enlightened and
lives in France. I also met him here some years ago.

> Start to develop
> some emotional problems, and there was rarely anyone
> you could turn to.

Not true for me. I had lots of friends. At purusha there were doctors,
 which were very open. At Meru Press I could talk about virtually
everything with my boss there. We had talks long in the night
even.When he had heard that I had met MM (not MMY) he even
congratulated me.

> Not just no one to turn to for
> help -- how many of us, after all, were trained *to*
> help in such situations, but even to *talk* to.  It
> was as if the people who had such problems ran into
> the "we don't focus on negativity" wall of silence.

Not really my experience. While this not-focus-on-negativity was
ceratinly a general attitude, it wasn't really strictly kept by
everyone in practise. Some persons were like this, but many just
wereen't

> When the behavior or the doubts reached the point of
> "excommunication," the apostates almost overnight
> became "ex."

Certainly not over night. The special purge I described was a one-time
event, a very shocking one I must agree. It was ceratinly more of a
shock tactics from the side of Maharishi. He even phoned when we were
in the middle of the flying program to get it started. But in the end
everybody got rehabilitated. And in my own situation, I realize it was
ultimately the right decission for me.

> They were forgotten; it was if they had
> never existed.

Rubbish. many letters, phonecalls etc. A year after the whole event, I
got a letter from my Purusha friend saying that Maharishi would need
Purushas, and that I could come back, not withstanding that I was with
MM already for one year. I just decided not to return.

> It was embarrassing to think about
> them, because to think about them poked holes in the
> oh-so-carefully-constructed myth, so no one ever did.
> In retrospect, it was just the weirdest thing.

Rubbish.

> And it wasn't just TM.  Please don't interpret this
> as a "dump on TM alone" rap.  I saw *exactly* the same
> pattern in the Rama trip.  And I've encountered it in
> other spiritual organizations since.

I understand that there was a tendency for this, it was certainly a
sort of a dogma to 'not engage in negativity' And certain people
ceratinly were like this. But mostly everbody was just human. We lived
together and spoke about everything. Also from the administration
side, there weren't any taboos and I found  a lot of understanding.
Sure there were people I didn't like, who sorta exhibited the
cult-mindset, but there were always enough people you could turn to.
So, really I don't share your feelings. With all the revelation I have
just given.