--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> Hubbard modelled his Dianetics after Psychtherapy. He surely was
> aware of Samskaras, but in Indian thought samkaras are usually
> not being rid of by just making them conscious. This is typically
> Freud. You become conscious of something hiding in the unconscious
> and get rid of it thereby. You don't find this in the indian
> Samskar theory. Similarely in TM the stresses are being released
> when the thought arises.

What I remember being told is that the
content of thoughts that arise likely have
nothing at all to do with the content of
the stresses being released.  E.g., you
transcend, and a stress implanted by a
teacher yelling at you when you were a kid
because you were late to class unwinds, but
the thought that arises as a result has to
do with what you're going to have for dinner
that night.

As I understood this, the *energy* released
by the dissolution of the samskara--the energy
that was holding it in place--more or less
randomly kicks some current concern and
activates it as a thought.

Most of my thoughts during meditation are very
mundane, not at all concerned with past stresses,
even when my meditation is very deep.  So either
I'm not releasing much in the way of past
samskaras, or the ones I'm releasing don't go
through my mind in the form of thoughts; what
goes through my mind are, so to speak,
surrogates activated by the released energy.

> I am
> not aware that in indian theory the arising of thought is seen as
> getting rid of Samkaras.

According to the explanation I outlined,
the arising of thoughts would be a byproduct
of getting rid of samskaras, if that makes
any difference.

> I am not saying that it cannot work. I am
> just saying that I am not aware of such a source. I don't think that
> it's bad  to get inspired and influenced by other contemporary
> movements. But personaly I wouldn't be too rigit about this
> thought=stressrelease theory. It's helpful, but its also a trap. You
> get rid of Samskaras in TM. But it's not one to one with the
> thoughts arising IMO. you have to distinguish of a theory being
> helpful to keep a certain process going - as an explanation, to
> not resist thoughts or force oneself, and it being *literally*
> true. An elephant has two kinds of teeth, two to show and two to
> chew.

This explanation also has the effect of making it
easier to take thoughts as they come rather than
being tempted to examine them to discover what
stresses are being released.