<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Judy,
>
> > I'm referring (as I suspect you're well aware) to
> > crap like calling her a "bimbo" and worse, and
> > pretending she's stupid, and ccusing her of being
> > a "thief" because of the clothing purchases, and a
> > "religious fanatic," when she's obviously none of
> > the above.
>
> "stupid" may not be a useful term in discussion her
> cognitive abilities but neither is "smart."

Oh, I think you could certainly call her "smart," in
the sense of having above-average intelligence.

  Most of her criticism was about how
> informed she was and her tortured language.  It's fine to
> say that she thinks better than she talks, but having seen
> the same thing from Bush, I'm not ready to jump to that
> conclusion. Bush's language seemed to mirror his sloganeering
> style of thinking and it hurt us badly.

Sure, and hers might well too. But Bush is also of
above-average intelligence (I don't think he's quite
as amart as Palin, FWIW, and I get the very distinct
impression that her style of thinking isn't anywhere
near as "sloganeering" as his; she's much more open-
minded and willing to entertain a range of ideas).

> All we know about her religiousness is that it is sufficient
> for her to want to deny abortions in the case of incest and
> rape for religious reasons, which is an extreme position from
> the playbook of religious fanatics.

I went over this with you before. In fact, from the
standpoint of those who genuinely believe a fetus is
a human being and should have all the rights of a
human being, it's the only position with any
integrity. Anybody who holds that belief, for
religious (or any other) reasons, who thinks abortion
is OK in the case of incest or rape is being
inconsistent (and inspires suspicion that what they
are really against is women having sex for pleasure).

So while I could not disagree with her more strongly
about the status and rights of a fetus, I have to
respect that she isn't willing to compromise her
stand.

  The fact that she didn't try to push this agenda with her
> independent Alaskan constituents just means she is willing
> to pursue her ambitions over her ideals.

As every politician has to do, one way or another.

Obama gets all kinds of kudos for being willing to
work with those of opposing viewpoints to reach
viable solutions. That's what Palin says she wants
to do as well.

Did you hear her say that pro-life and pro-choice
people should be able to work together to reduce
(as opposed to "deny") abortions by promoting
preventive measures? She means birth control and
sex education, not banning abortion, obviously
(since pro-choice people wouldn't stand for a ban).

That is not the approach of a religious fanatic
(and in fact will likely outrage religious fanatics).

For that matter, believing that human life with
all the rights and privileges thereunto
appertaining begins at conception is not a view
that people hold only for religious reasons.
There are nonreligious people who believe this as
well.