Cathleen Falsani of the Chicago Sun-Times interviewed Barack Obama in 2004
on his faith and spirituality. She's now published the
<http://blog.beliefnet.com/stevenwaldman/2008/11/obamas-interview-with-cathl
een.html> entire interview. Here are some highlights.

FALSANI: Do you pray often?

OBAMA: Yeah, I guess I do.

It's not formal, me getting on my knees. I think I have an ongoing
conversation with God. I think throughout the day, I'm constantly asking
myself questions about what I'm doing, why am I doing it.

One of the interesting things about being in public life is there are
constantly these pressures being placed on you from different sides. To be
effective, you have to be able to listen to a variety of points of view,
synthesize viewpoints. You also have to know when to be just a strong
advocate, and push back against certain people or views that you think
aren't right or don't serve your constituents.

And so, the biggest challenge, I think, is always maintaining your moral
compass. Those are the conversations I'm having internally. I'm measuring my
actions against that inner voice that for me at least is audible, is active,
it tells me where I think I'm on track and where I think I'm off track....

It's interesting, the most powerful political moments for me come when I
feel like my actions are aligned with a certain truth. I can feel it. When
I'm talking to a group and I'm saying something truthful, I can feel a power
that comes out of those statements that is different than when I'm just
being glib or clever.