--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "I am the eternal"

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I've had those boneheads demand to search my shopping cart and
see my
> > receipt at the exit. If I wanted to shop in a maximum security
> > prison, I would shop at San Quentin. Costco is another place
where I
> > will go only when I have a specific bigticket item in mind that I
can
> > save a lot of money on -- they check off every item on the receipt
> > when you exit, which is truly annoying and intrusive. I usually
brush
> > off the search requests, but who needs the stress...
> >

> Wal-Mart has tremendous theft problems.  People actually race out of
> the store with unpaid for expensive items in their shopping cart,
> usually winning despite the cart checkers and security devices.
> Wal-Mart and Home Depot are noted for people shop lifting items then
> returning them for refunds.  If you're checked or not depends upon
> where you shop.  One Wal-Mart I shop at is on the wrong side of
town.
> The other is in the high tech area of town.  In one, I expect to be
> challenged on the way out.  In the other trying to get some one's
> attention when I leave the store is difficult.

********

I know that Walmart has a theft problem. Two months ago, while
reluctantly entering WM for a specific item, I was nearly bowled over
by a young man who had a laptop under his arm and was moving at an
impressive rate across the parking lot, pursued by two civilians (not
WM staff) -- the guys ran out of breath and the guy got away (if he
tries to sign on to the net, I'm sure he can be tracked).

But WM's problem is not my problem -- let them use more electronic
anti-theft or whatever surveillance they need to do (which should not
cost much because of their low pay, about half what local supermarket
union employees make), but do not make me stand there like an idiot
while they frisk my basket. It's illegal to insist on such a search,
since there is no probable cause, so I usually just keep on walking
and ignore the request to search, but it just annoys the hell out of
me -- and others, I see people arguing with the exit clerks all the
time.