> bob_brigante wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "I am the eternal"
> > <L.Shaddai@> wrote:

> > see my

> > where I

> > can

> > brush

> >> Wal-Mart has tremendous theft problems.  People actually race
out of
> >> the store with unpaid for expensive items in their shopping cart,
> >> usually winning despite the cart checkers and security devices.
> >> Wal-Mart and Home Depot are noted for people shop lifting items
then
> >> returning them for refunds.  If you're checked or not depends
upon
> >> where you shop.  One Wal-Mart I shop at is on the wrong side of
> >>
> > town.
> >
> >> The other is in the high tech area of town.  In one, I expect to
be
> >> challenged on the way out.  In the other trying to get some one's
> >> attention when I leave the store is difficult.
> >>

> > ********
> >
> > I know that Walmart has a theft problem. Two months ago, while
> > reluctantly entering WM for a specific item, I was nearly bowled
over
> > by a young man who had a laptop under his arm and was moving at
an
> > impressive rate across the parking lot, pursued by two civilians
(not
> > WM staff) -- the guys ran out of breath and the guy got away (if
he
> > tries to sign on to the net, I'm sure he can be tracked).
> >
> > But WM's problem is not my problem -- let them use more
electronic
> > anti-theft or whatever surveillance they need to do (which should
not
> > cost much because of their low pay, about half what local
supermarket
> > union employees make), but do not make me stand there like an
idiot
> > while they frisk my basket. It's illegal to insist on such a
search,
> > since there is no probable cause, so I usually just keep on
walking
> > and ignore the request to search, but it just annoys the hell out
of
> > me -- and others, I see people arguing with the exit clerks all
the
> > time.

> Fry's, K-Mart and Best Buy also do the door checks.  Target has a
guard
> as you exit and most likely they are doing some undercover
surveillance
> too such as people dressed as shoppers who are watching and
following
> people.   There is also an aversion to RFID tags as they are being
> sometimes used for a lot more than theft prevention.

********

My local Kmart is unusually stupid, even for a shoddy and
disorganized place like KM -- they post somebody at one exit door,
but never at the other exit at the garden section, so I just use the
unmonitored exit. Target is the least annoying place to shop, plus
they never ask for ID when I use a credit card.