> > Let's not shift the burden of proof here.
>
> I'm not. I'm saying they can't prove it and you
> can't disprove it, so it's a draw. It doesn't make
> sense to use the accounts of Jesus's miracles as
> "evidence" of any kind, nor does it make any sense
> to demand proof of these miracles.

But this is how Christians use the Bible's claims, as evidence that it
gives special instructions for how the world actually operates.  Of
course it all becomes moot when they default to faith after the
evidence angle peters out.  But I don't think Christians are being
honest about how they do attempt to use evidence to influence belief.

> But it's entirely mundane and can easily be
> tested. I'm talking about mystical experience.

OK, then the topic has shifted from the specific claims of an
"experience" of having had past lives.  I think I would have to have
some specific examples to understand what kind you are talking about.

> > The example he likes is that God gave us this
> > real estate and you and your clan need to hit
> > the road.
>
> That isn't the product of an *experience*; it says
> so in da Bible. It's externally acquired.

I don't know if there are mystical claims of God's messages about real
estate among the Rabbis and Mullahs in the Mid East, or if it is all
based on da book.  I think some of the factions of Islam are based on
the prophetic visions of their founders aren't they?

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > > And how can you prove or disprove that they have
> > > such memories? You can't get inside their heads
> > > to see whether the memories are there. (Two
> > > different points here: whether they have the
> > > memory is one; whether it's a memory of what
> > > actually happened is another.)
> >
> > I wasn't thinking that this question is the most
> > relevant to the claim.  I'm not trying to
> > distinguish someones memory from their imagination.
>
> I know. I'm really just making a semantic quibble
> because sometimes this type of distinction gets lost
> and creates misunderstanding. "Specific claims that
> their memories are of what actually existed in the
> world" would be clearer.
>
> <snip>
> > >
> > > But you can't prove or disprove that this has
> > > anything to do with reincarnation.
> >
> > I'm not so sure.  If a lot of people had these
> > experiences in compelling detail we might be able
> > to establish it.  At least we could up the
> > probability of it being true.
>
> Probability, perhaps. But we couldn't rule out
> other possibilities.
>
> > >   They are
> > >
> > > Which can't be proved or disproved either.
> >
> > Let's not shift the burden of proof here.
>
> I'm not. I'm saying they can't prove it and you
> can't disprove it, so it's a draw. It doesn't make
> sense to use the accounts of Jesus's miracles as
> "evidence" of any kind, nor does it make any sense
> to demand proof of these miracles.
>
>   It isn't up to me to disprove it.  The person
> > making the claim makes their case and we can
> > decide if we find their reasons compelling.  We
> > have proven a lot of things about historical
> > figures with a pretty good degree of confidence.
> > The Jesus myth just isn't one of them for me.
>
> Jesus is really only quasi-historical. There's
> almost nothing in the way of contemporary evidence
> even for his existence, let alone his deeds or what
> he said.
>
> <snip>

> > > Nah, that's a bogus example.
> >
> > I don't see why,it is an internally created
> > reality for the person without any external
> > support.
>
> But it's entirely mundane and can easily be
> tested. I'm talking about mystical experience.
>
> <snip>
talking about their meaning.on a pass on claims just