<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think you have a knack for isolating a pretty clean version of
> experience sans belief. It took me quite a few years to understand
> it. (assuming that I actually do!) But for most people who have
> these experiences, they quickly do make statements about what it
> means and then they are subject to the "WTF" line of
> epistemological questioning just like everybody else.

The thing is, Curtis, I don't see the skeptics
merely criticizing the "what I think this exper-
ience means" thing in people who believe things
they don't. I see a lot of them trying to chal-
lenge the experiences *themselves*.

They seem almost compelled to come up with ration-
alizations to "explain away" the person's exper-
iences. And those rationalizations may be valid.
Then again, they might not be. To claim that a
person's experiences aren't what he thinks they
are just because you can think of a theory that
paints them in a different light strikes me as
the height of hubris.

Why is the skeptic's theory any more "valid" than
the believer's theory? It seems to me that what's
going on is just a dick-size contest: "My theory
has a longer dick than yours."

> I think this is Sam Harris's main point.  That we don't have to
> give a person a pass on claims just because they came from an
> inner source once they cross the threshold of talking about
> their meaning.

And I don't perceive the "threshold" the same way
you do. I don't think that a person *talking about*
their experience and saying, "This was just my
experience; make what you want of it" has crossed
any "threshold" that demands that you must challenge
it.

The "threshold," for me, is when the believer talks
about his beliefs and casts them as Truth, as The
Way Things Are, You Betcha. Or when the believer
tries to sell you his beliefs. When a person does this,
then you might have the right to come after them with
a stiff dick. But if they just say, "Hey...this is
what my experience is, and what I make of it, YMMV,"
I don't see what the big issue is.