> on 6/25/05 12:35 PM, Vaj at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > On Jun 25, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Rick Archer wrote:
> >> I also find that some
> >> gentle attentiveness vs. allowing the mind to just mess around
makes a
> >> big
> >> difference in terms of clarity and frequency of transcending.
> >>
> >> At Estes Park, M quoted the Vedas as saying, "Be easy to us with
gentle
> >> effort."
> >>

> > And indeed this very simple attentiveness--or mindfulness--is one
of
> > the key antidotes to laxity and torpor. But of course this is not
> > taught as part of TM, it's sad Rick that this is buried in some
old
> > tape and not integrated into practice. I don't know about you,
but I've
> > met a good number of meditators who ended up being drained by such
> > torpor. Laxity is believed to be a intentional mental process
where the
> > meditative object (in this case Self or mantra) is not perceived
with
> > vividness. Once meditation reaches the "effortless" stage (where
one
> > simply sits and can transcend for at least an hour at a time with
no
> > breaks) this tends to disappear as delusion is dissolved. Without
> > mindfulness and some forcefulness its hard if not impossible to
get to
> > the deeper levels of meditation. I always liked the analogy of
> > Shakyamuni of having the lute strings 'not to tight or not to
loose';
> > that's just how mindfulness is.
>
> Amma emphasizes mindfulness too. This always puzzled me because I'm
so
> indoctrinated with the "natural tendency of the mind" idea, but in
light of
> my own experience, it makes sense. If I'm tired, sometimes it's
best to just
> lean back and let myself doze off, rather than struggling to stay
alert.
> Meditation is better after a nap. But if I'm not tired, it's best
to sit up
> straight and be attentive. Otherwise meditation is a muddle and a
waste of
> time.
>
> Mark Meredith, if he's reading this, has commented that for many,
and maybe
> for him, TM was often a lazy, unproductive sort of daydreaming.

sitting upright (if comfortable) during TM was always encouraged
IIRC. If your definition of "Gentle effort" is to start meditation in
an upright position (if possible), and to resume the upright position
when you find that you have fallen over and have been asleep for a
while, I'll go along with it...