> I think personalities are multifaceted. Je-Ru is both a nice guy and
a con> man. We're all many things.

That raises an interesting philosophical question Rick.  Although I am
usually a fan of the "see the best in people" philosophy, I practice
that within a range of behaviors only.

My "many things" doesn't includes willfully ruining people's lives. If
you  throw in the perspective of Pete's sociopath, then your analysis
is not technically accurate be misapplied.  Sociopaths don't have the
human capacity to be "nice guys."  They imitate human emotions they
study around them to manipulate people.  I don't know if he was one or
not. But reducing him to the worst action he is capable of is part of
how I evaluate people now.  For deliberate harm I have a "one strike"
judgmental policy. After he has done his time, if I had interactions
with him personally and found him to be changed by his experience, I
might turn on the human kindness tap to a drip.  But I would never
trust him as I would someone who did not show the capacity to hurt
others this way.

Of course I might just have missed your point completely!
I'm not sure what point you were making, care to elaborate?