> Yeah, I'm not convinced that this Je-Ru guy will ever
> snap out of it and do any good in the world, and I'm
> certainly not convinced that Ted Bundy will. But theo-
> retically, I have to give them a chance.
>
> If I don't, what chance do I give myself?

If you are clinically a sociopath you don't have a chance!  I'll let
Dr. Pete field this if he cares to.  My "expertise" in this area
extends to reading one book: "The Psychopath Next Door."  That auther
didn't believe it was curable or that they ever change.  It may be a
brain defect.  It is distinct from your garden variety asshole in
capacity for change.

But the older I get the less I see evidence of people really changing
that much.  Even people who appear to for short periods of time from a
traumatic event eventually go back to their patterns before they got
shifted temporarily from their MO.

So where does that leave us?  I think if you are practiced at
reinventing yourself, as most of us have numerous times, you can shift
your identity/belief cluster a bit.  A non-exerciser can become the
kind of person who exercises even though this was not a lifelong
habit.  But I don't give much hope for people changing in their
sensitivity or desire to care about other people much.  We might get
better at noticing certain clues from other people as we grow in
wisdom, but the desire to notice these things seems pretty hardwired.

It has been hard to effect change in my own life but I always act as
if it is possible.  I don't really now how far I have come.  I'm still
working on it. the greatest change agent I have see so far is years of
living.  That is a slow road but it does seem to bring some
fundamental changes in people.  Not always good ones but sometime
really beautiful ones!