Are TM-researchers measuring the wrong or a different thing?

> > Spirituality Spot Found in Brain

"This study, along with other recent neuroradiological studies of
Buddhist meditators and Francescan nuns, suggests that all
individuals, regardless of cultural background or religion,
experience the same neuropsychological functions during spiritual
experiences, such as transcendence. Transcendence, feelings of
universal unity and decreased sense of self, is a core tenet of all
major religions. Meditation and prayer are the primary vehicles by
which such spiritual transcendence is achieved.

"The brain functions in a certain way during spiritual experiences,""

> & that 'best' hard hitting meditation from
> off the David Lynch TM site, http://tinyurl.com/8dh76d
>
> Would the 'best' for your health also be spiritual in practice like
> some other meditation practice?
>
> Are TM-researchers measuring the wrong or a different thing?
>

> <paste>
> "Just as there are many kinds of medication, there are also many
> approaches that are termed `meditation.'
>
> The vast majority of the research on meditation has been on
> Transcendental Meditation—and the findings clearly indicate that TM
> works better than other researched mental techniques to promote
> health.
>
>  If research shows that a specific medication helps treat a
disorder,
> it would be irresponsible and illogical to conclude that all
> medications help treat that disorder. In the same way, research on
TM
> should not be generalized to include other techniques also
> called `meditation.' We should intelligently choose what works and
> what is supported by research. Therefore I strongly support the
> introduction specifically of Transcendental Meditation into our
> nation's schools and health care systems."
>
> http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/research/scientific-evidence-
that-
> the-program-works.html
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "min.pige" <min.pige@> wrote:
> >
> > Spirituality Spot Found in Brain
> >
> > By Robin Nixon
> > Special to LiveScience
> > LiveScience.com robin Nixon
> > special To Livescience
> > livescience.com â€" Wed Dec 24, 9:19 am ET
> >
> > What makes us feel spiritual? It could be the quieting of a small
> area
> > in our brains, a new study suggests.
> >
> > The area in question - the right parietal lobe - is responsible
for
> > defining "Me," said researcher Brick Johnstone of Missouri
> University.
> > It generates self-criticism, he said, and guides us through
physical
> > and social terrains by constantly updating our self-knowledge: my
> > hand, my cocktail, my witty conversation skills, my new love
> interest ...
> >
> > People with less active Me-Definers are more likely to lead
> spiritual
> > lives, reports the study in the current issue of the journal
Zygon.