I'm thinking of upgrading my computer, as it is often way too slow for my
liking. I need to work with a lot of different applications, and often have
many open at once. This computer doesn't multi-task well. Apps often bog
each other down, such that everything runs slowly. MS Outlook is one of the
biggest culprits. It takes an unbelievably long time to check email, it's
hard to use Outlook while it's being checked, and other applications are
compromised during the process. If there's a background process happening,
such as a backup or virus scan, the computer becomes very sluggish, so I
schedule such things at night. It takes 20 minutes to fully boot this puppy.
A consultant came over and turned some things off, which sped it up a
little, but it's still too slow for my taste.

I'm thinking of getting this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9174289
<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9174289&type=product&id=12180
44029789> &type=product&id=1218044029789.

.         Do you think I'd notice a big improvement?

.         At this stage, does 64-bit processing make a big difference,
considering that most apps aren't written for it yet? (A friend of mine has
a 32-bit desktop machine running XP (I'm running Vista) on which Outlook
also runs very slowly, and a 64-bit laptop running Vista on which Outlook
runs fast.)

.         Does 512MB (dedicated) to video sound adequate, or would
performance be inferior to having a separate video card?

.         Are big hardware improvements just around the corner, such that I
should wait a while?

.         Can I get a better deal elsewhere?

Thanks for your advice. Here's what I've got now. There are 2 250Gb drives
in it. What would be a fair asking price if I were to sell it?

More details about my computer

Component

Details

Subscore

Base score

Processor

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz

4.9

3.4

  Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM)

4.00 GB

5.4

Graphics

Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family

3.6

Gaming graphics

358 MB Total available graphics memory

3.4

Primary hard disk

14GB Free (228GB Total)

5.4

Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

System

  _____

Manufacturer

GATEWA

Model

GT5268E

Total amount of system memory

4.00 GB RAM

System type

32-bit operating system

Number of processor cores

2

64-bit capable

Yes

Storage

  _____

Total size of hard disk(s)

466 GB

Disk partition (C:)

14 GB Free (228 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:)

2 GB Free (5 GB Total)

Media drive (E:)

CD/DVD

Disk partition (J:)

81 GB Free (233 GB Total)

Graphics

  _____

Display adapter type

Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family

Total available graphics memory

358 MB

      Dedicated graphics memory

0 MB

      Dedicated system memory

64 MB

      Shared system memory

294 MB

Display adapter driver version

7.14.10.1147

Primary monitor resolution

1280x960

DirectX version

DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

  _____

Network Adapter

Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Connection

Network Adapter

Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter