We Defragged and it may have helped a bit. I run all sorts of software for
my business that wouldn't run on those other operating systems, so I've got
to stay with Microsoft. When we started in safe mode the boot up was pretty
fast, so I must be loading apps at startup that are slowing things down.
I'll try http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/, as Larry
suggested. I don't have an external USB drive. My internet connection is
fiber optic, so very fast. My virus protection is AVG. The HD is often
cranking away on who knows what. I can tell 'cause the little light stays
on.

One question nobody addressed: is there any significant advantage to 64-bit
processing yet, seeing as how not many apps have been written to take
advantage of it? Is that something that will be more useful a year from now?