Your hardware spec looks pretty good to me (better than mine that's
running Vista).

I think your computer's problems must be all in its mind i.e "mental"
(software), not physical. Or perhaps you have some hardware that is
not performing to spec (unlikely).

Very slow Vista reboots can be caused by having external USB external
drives plugged in. Crazy I know - but true. Mine takes quite a few
minutes to boot - but is several times quicker if I yank out the USB
drive cable (and then plug in after boot).

Outlook should not be slow with your machine's spec.. It's conceivable
that your anti-virus software is causing the slow-down. If your
internet connection is poor Outlook is notorious for "time out"
problems, especially I believe with Norton Utilities.

But then it may be your POP mail server that is slooow and/or your
Internet connection. Then it's not Outlook's fault of course.

My lower spec PC runs Thunderbird (not Outlook) with AVG anti-virus.
There's never any go-slow.

These dual/quad processor thingies are *supposed* to allow you to,
say, run anti-virus in the background. I've never found that works,
so, like you, I do that stuff when the computer is idle for a few
hours (e.g. when trying to catch up on the last day's FFL posts).

The reality on a PC is that your hard disk is the bottle neck (well,
after your internet connection). When that's grinding and bubbling
away on scans you're bound to notice it I'd say.

<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9174289&type=product&id=12180
> 44029789> &type=product&id=1218044029789.
>
> .         Do you think I'd notice a big improvement?
>
> .         At this stage, does 64-bit processing make a big difference,
> considering that most apps aren't written for it yet? (A friend of
mine has
> a 32-bit desktop machine running XP (I'm running Vista) on which Outlook
> also runs very slowly, and a 64-bit laptop running Vista on which
Outlook