Fairfield Lifer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Reminds me of the dot com boom where the dot coms didn't want to hire
>> anyone over 30.  Even for management.  They wanted to do it "their way"
>> and we see what happened.
>>

> I'd like to see someone do so serious studies of the dot com days.
>
> Case in point: a house in Silicon Valley which housed half a dozen dot
> com billionaires (none over 23) who are now most likely trying to
> scrape by selling tee shirts at the San Francisco Marina.  The
> gathering was based on the belief that these billionaires were
> obviously the best and the brightest in the world.  They moved in
> together so that no time would be wasted in commuting or other outside
> activities.  These gifts to God could spend day and night
> brainstorming the next idea that was going to revolutionize the world
> yet again.  After 6 months together they came up with no new ideas,
> viable or not, and moved out.

There are some books and at least one movie on the subject.  I'll try to
see if I can remember the movie but it was like a documentary but not a
real company.  Living in the area I can say the kids were quite naive
and idealistic.    There were kids that were successful at some company
and left it to strike out on their own.  They would get a VC and the VC
would tell the "get some adult supervision."  But that didn't happen
with the dot comes because these were people with just ideas and no
background.  Nobody wanted to throw cold water on their idea because it
might actually be a winner.  It was often the implementation that was
faulty and that is where experience could have helped.