--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcg...@...>
wrote:

> I suppose the most exotic place I've ever been (aside from certain
> parts of New Jersey) is India.
>
> And the most exotic street foods (or junk foods) I saw and tasted
> while there were Masala Dosa and Onion Bhajis.
>
> The Masala Dosa was incredible.  A southern Indian dish, I was
> exposed to it while in northern India, in Kashmir while on a one-
> month TM course there in '81.  It's a crepe-type pancake made from a
> flour of ground-up rice and chick peas, rolled up over a potato curry
> or something with a coconut chutney (optional) smothered on the
> outside, accompanied with (or poured over the top) an onion soup like
> broth (the name of which escapes me at the moment.  Cost: 1 1/2
> rupees (well, that was in '81 which at the time equalled about 15
> cents American).  We tried to have 2 or 3 a day.

I am certified South Indian food nut.  I have spent years perfecting
Idly (steamed cakes) masala dosas and Sambar, the soup you mentioned.

Here are some details.  The batter for Idly and dosa is a specific
kind of rice (not basmati) and split Urid dhal.  It has specific
properties than make it work.  Sambar is made of Tur dhal a larger
split pea. The secret of great Sambar is roasting your whole coriander
before grinding it and toasting dried coconut.  It needs tamarind for
the sour taste and hing instead of garlic.  The batter for idly and
dosa has to be fermented for a few days to get sour.  You have to soak
and grind the 2/3 rice(coarsely) and 1/3 urid dhal (finely) separately
and then combine them to ferment.  I have a great Indian store that
sells the freshly made batter so I rarely make it from scratch these
days. If you use a powdered instant mix use yogurt instead of the
water from the recipe on the box to approximate the sour of freshly
made batter.  On last obsessive detail.  You fry uncooked split urid
dhal till they brown, with your mustard seeds to add to your coconut
chutney.