--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcg...@...>
wrote:
<snip>
> Judy: your clams are making my mouth water...but please
> elaborate on what you mean by "clams (with bellies)".
> You see, I understand the concept of "toro" which means
> the fatty belly of the tuna (and toro sells for as much
> as $100 a pound, it's so delectible) but I can't grasp
> the concept of a clam having a belly.  So please explain.

Basically, it's the clam's gut. I'm not sure I want to
know any more than that. It's the part of the clam that
has the most oceany, briny taste and the softest texture;
the meaty parts don't have as much flavor and are more
chewy.

Many restaurants serve only clam "strips," which are
just the meaty parts. That's for two reasons: one,
squeamish diners prefer not to think they're eating
internal organs, especially of the digestive tract;
two, it's cheaper to use big clams and just cut up the
meaty part into strips than to use small clams whole.

Clams have to be carefully cleaned in any case. I think
(but am reluctant to find out for certain) that proper
cleaning removes the more objectionable contents of the
gut (at any rate, what's removed is said not to taste
very good). I prefer to assume that the "belly" contains
only what the clam has eaten recently and not the waste
products of its digestion.

Clam bellies are often fried and served by themselves,
incidentally. I like the combination of bellies and
meaty parts, though.

Here's a quasi-lyrical ode to clam bellies from the
blog of the New York Times restaurant critic, Frank
Bruni (it also mentions tuna belly):

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/going-for-the-gut/

http://tinyurl.com/b5h4pm

Also check the comments if you're interested in more
detail on what's served where.

> Also: "perfect, nongreasy crispness".  Note that greasy
> CAN be a plus.  No one likes, say, a greasy outer layer
> on your tempura butyou can't GET crispness without grease.

Right, but as you say, you don't want the grease to soak
into the batter. Ask Curtis, but I believe it's a matter
of the proper frying temperature; it can't be too low or
the grease invades the batter and what's inside instead
of just cooking it from the outside. Greasy fried clams
are yucky, by me.

  And sometimes grease adds to
> a dish.  Perhaps it's me but a greasy pizza is,
> simply, fantastic.

Heart trouble runs in my father's side of my family,
so I have a highly ambivalent relationship with
saturated fat. Pizza should be made with olive oil,
though, no? That's good for you. It's the cheese
that's the problem (not to mention the sausage).

  And I love a submarine sandwich,
> left in its wrapper for an hour or two that leaks
> "grease" when I finally take it out and eat it (gotta
> watch the mayo, though, because you don't want that
> white bacteria-catcher fermenting too long in the heat).

These days commercial mayo contains so many preservatives
it probably will last quite awhile. Better safe than
sorry, though.