<curtisdeltabl...@...> wrote:

> > I fantasize having a "push cart" offering something exotic --
like
> > Masala Dosa -- which I've perfected cooking and which I offer in
> some > urban area like New York or Washington, D.C.  And I make it
so
> good > that I can replicate for the customers off the street that
come
> by my > push cart the same "eureka!" experience I had whenever I
first
> came > across the dish
>
> That is soooo funny!  I also have an alternative life fantasy like
> that!  Did you see the great indie film "Push Cart?"

Yes, although I found it a bit depressing.

Also, for a Pakistani immigrant, the guy's accent was too
perfectly "American" which made me wonder at what age the character
could have emigrated to America and still have been famous back in
Pakistan for his Pakistani music.

Other than those two points, fascinating film.

> There are people out there living this odd dream.  In NYC where
street
> food is very serious they have a yearly Vendy award and and Indian
> cart won last year: http://tinyurl.com/4m7pml

Too cool!  A Biryani cart!

I've come out not only with my own junk food cart idea but the actual
junk food I'd sell is my own invention, too.

It's really simple...but delicious: it's a swedish crepe most in a
rectangular shape with a smear each of nutella and mascarpone on it,
rolled up and then cut into slices...and it's marketed as: CHOCOLATE
SUSHI!

Everyone who's tried it loves it and the name entices everyone who
hears it...of course, the only thing common with sushi is the shape.

> Here in DC there is a couple at the Balston Metro stop serving high
> level pizzas out of a cart.  I read about it but haven't eaten it
yet.

> Hot dog and sausage stands can be really creative.  I saw an Asian
> version with all sorts of toppings like wasabi and kim chi.
>
> I fantasize that around here an Asian toppings pizza joint could do
> well.

Interesting "fusion".

The big fusion thing here in the Phoenix area is Mexican/Chinese
combo:

http://www.chinobandido.com/

>  Kim chi is great on almost anything IMO.

Too hot for me...and for some reason I associate Kim Chi with Haggis,
I don't know why.

> We have a lot of Hispanic food trucks here.  I love beef tongue soft
> tacos that they serve and homemade tamales.  They have a lot of
> Hispanic workers who are single guys living together who keep them
busy.

> In Adams Morgan, a night club rich zone, a guy is making a killing
> with a great Falafal stand modeled after the ones in Amsterdam with
> lots of toppings.  Not having any meat makes it easy to keep the
> kitchen clean and it is high profit.  All the drunks who are sick of
> the usual pizza after drinking storm the place after the club's
> closing time. I talked with the owner who is franchising the idea.
He
> reiterated the "location,location, location" mantra as the reason he
> is rocking.
>
> The food biz is so labor intensive that my pipe dream will remain
> that.

But if it's just you, the push cart, and one item (like, say,
Falafels) I don't think it could be that bad labor-wise.

>  But every time I see some interesting food cart I get the same
> thrill of "That could be me and here is what I would do with it!"  I
> am so food obsessed this topic rocks my world!  Thanks for feeding
my
> "attachment!"

...and don't forget: it's a CASH BUSINESS! F*CK the IRS.

<shempmcgurk@>

> > certain

> > from a
> > curry
> > like
> > >

> > > I am certified South Indian food nut.  I have spent years
perfecting
> > > Idly (steamed cakes) masala dosas and Sambar, the soup you
> > mentioned.
> > >
> > > Here are some details.  The batter for Idly and dosa is a
specific
> > > kind of rice (not basmati) and split Urid dhal.  It has specific
> > > properties than make it work.  Sambar is made of Tur dhal a
larger
> > > split pea. The secret of great Sambar is roasting your whole
> > coriander
> > > before grinding it and toasting dried coconut.  It needs
tamarind
> > for
> > > the sour taste and hing instead of garlic.  The batter for idly
and
> > > dosa has to be fermented for a few days to get sour.  You have
> > soak
> > > and grind the 2/3 rice(coarsely) and 1/3 urid dhal (finely)
> > separately
> > > and then combine them to ferment.  I have a great Indian store
that
> > > sells the freshly made batter so I rarely make it from scratch
these
> > > days. If you use a powdered instant mix use yogurt instead of
the
> > > water from the recipe on the box to approximate the sour of
freshly
> > > made batter.  On last obsessive detail.  You fry uncooked split
urid
> > > dhal till they brown, with your mustard seeds to add to your
coconut
> > > chutney.
> > >

> > Thanks for the great detailed description of how it's done,
Curtis!

> > ...which invokes a fantasy I've entertained from time to time.
It
> > comes up whenever the "rat race" gets me down.
> >
> > I fantasize having a "push cart" offering something exotic --
like
> > Masala Dosa -- which I've perfected cooking and which I offer in
some
> > urban area like New York or Washington, D.C.  And I make it so
good
> > that I can replicate for the customers off the street that come
by my
> > push cart the same "eureka!" experience I had whenever I first
came
> > across the dish.  Masala Dosa is a perfect example; a discovery
that
> > I felt no one else from my culture had yet experienced.
> >
> > Souvlaki is a good example.  It's very common everywhere now but
> > until the '70s it wasn't anywhere except, perhaps, some parts of
New