--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@...>
> A better analogy is comparing mood altering drugs to marijuana.
> Anti-depressants don't alter the mood and are not addicting in that
> sense.  Benzodiazepines like Xanax or Valium are psychoactive drugs
> that work on the central nervous system, altering mood and behavior.
> They are usually dispensed in small amounts and are highly addictive.
> They have their place but certainly should not be legal and freely
> available.  Marijuana I have mixed feelings about. Face it,marijuana
> makes you stupid.

This is context dependent and depends on your experience practicing
any activity while stoned.  Give a neewbie a joint and they will
probably have some trouble with the math section of the SATs.  (unless
that is their thing and they practice math stoned)  But in the context
of a musical jam the increased connection between kinostetic and
auditory channels can boost creativity, just turn on the radio to hear
the results.  It can make your mind distracted by causing you to hyper
focus on sensation. (bedroom boon!)  But in the context where this
shift is valuable it can be an asset.

A tip of the hat to Turq's description of how it shifts thinking. It
can deliver a new perspective on thinking.  I think it actually brings
a bit of the same dissociation that meditation does with the pros and
cons of increasing that quality of your mind.  This quality is more
pronounced with a sativa over indica biased blend. (er...a...or so I'm
told...)

Not many people can use it day in and day out and> still function well.>

Like many drugs that effect neurotransmitters, regular use flattens
the effect.  I have known brilliant people in many careers who were
daily users.  You could never tell if they were stoned.  Regular use
brings both a tolerance and many synaptic workarounds to allow regular
users to function normally.  I would say most professionals who are
smokers I have known fall into the category of after work smokers.  Of
course if someone does it all day they had better be in a reggae band!
 And speaking of Bob Marley, he advocated running and exercise to
counter any effects of lethargy from weed. Of course exercise also
lifts the lethargy of no exercise too!  I don't think wine makes you
stupid.  But I wouldn't have a glass before tackling the law boards.

 I can see some people may get some benefit from
> it in medical treatment, though there usually is something else
> available that works as well or better.

That isn't what I have read.  For some people it is the only thing
that works.  You may know more but this medical party line seems to
have some very real counterexamples.  I don't think we know enough
about pain to claim this yet. The decision should be in the hands of
the person in pain.

 But the amount of resources
> that go to combating this drug seems extreme.

Yes this is abusive use of force on citizens.

< I tend to favor> decriminalizing its use, but I am not happy about it.>

I favor legalization so it becomes cheap enough to eat.  My problem
with smoking pot is the smoking.  Even the vaporizers effect my lungs
for singing unfavorably. (As well as losing some of the most fun
macromolecules in cannabis.  It isn't only THC for me.)   Burning a
plant is definitely a primitive delivery system for any drug. We can
do better if we would lift the shame ban.

With drugs like meth around I am furious that any of our tax dollars
go to fighting weed and incarcerating users and destroying families.

 California is> talking about legalizing it and taxing it.  I am sure
that won't go> over well with the feds.>

This is going to be interesting to see how Obama handles this
question.  Typically Democrats have to be even tougher on drug
enforcement to keep from being labeled "soft on crime" by Republicans.
 Obama may be man enough to break this ridiculous cycle.  I'm not
holding my breath though.  (Wow that works on so many levels!)

> And yes, I smoked a few in my day.

I guess with a president who has admitted snorting lines of coke this
kind of online revelation isn't a big deal anymore.  Of course
everything I wrote here is from what I read in magazines.  And I am
officially vehemently opposed to using any babies for fertilizing
marijuana gardens. (It increases the nitrogen too high and makes the
plant stringy with loose buds.)