" . . .there is probably nothing new under the Sun"

You're right....more than you know.

Over the years, no less than dozens of what I thought were my ideas
have been imagined independently and "run with" by others.  I invented
a set of eight cubes that had magnets on each face of the cubes. The
cubes challenged one to arrange them into a bigger cube if one was
able to get the south poles to be abetting north poles.  The schema
for magnet placement was the key concept of the invention, and it was
a very fun puzzle kinetically to mess with.  Well, I worked up a
prototype and showed it around but everyone (and we're talking ALL the
major toy companies) thought it was way too expensive to make.  Yet,
the next year, BLAMMO, there 'twas....right there in the Jacob Javitz
convention hall -- done by a mom and popper who'd somehow solved the
cost problem and gotten the set into a blister card for about $10
retail -- nice!

It's humbling.  When I would go to Toy Fair, there would be 1800 mom
and pops with their one idea each -- most of them doomed to fail for
lack of business skills, but, yep, there would ALWAYS be someone who
was hot on one of my concepts and had gotten it to market -- usually
in a far better format than I had gotten around to working up.  If you
really put out to get something on a shelf, you do a lot more thinking
about the idea, and naturally, the concept evolves and different ways
to package, market, advertise, price, name the product come to the
fore -- whereas, for me, the idea might merely be on a list somewhere
waiting for me to get passionate enough about it to flesh it
out.....meanwhile the movement belongs to those who move.

The point to underline is that my ideas came to me from out of left
field -- I wasn't improving on or fleshing out other ideas I'd come
across at Toy Fair.  I thought of myself as a pure inventor with no
significant impact from the environment, but hey, it sure seems fishy
that so many folks get the same ideas at the same time.  Ask Alexander
Graham Bell or Isaac Newton or Edison -- all of them had huge problems
"owning concepts" that others were working on too.

My inventing was more of a calling than a career.  I'd get an idea and
just have to work it up with duct tape and cardboard to see if it
worked.  Then, if it did, yep, I'd get visions of grandeur counting my
chickens before they'd hatched.

Then I'd hit the bricks of the real world and find out how unspecial I
really was....even though I had some very original ideas.  The truth
is that the toy industry is one tough nut to crack, and the invention
itself is but the smallest part of success -- business skills are way
more important.  A very simple toy can cost half a million bucks to
get even a small inventory into a warehouse.

But, you know me; I'm such a whiny crabbing pity-me victimized
mental-case who thinks he's special that, yeah, it pissed me off that
others did what I had give up on or had set aside for some nonce. It
was my idea, ya see?  But, finally, I got over it and realized that if
I don't immediately take an idea to fruition, it never really was my
idea.

If there is a God, hHe sows ideas in many minds like seeds cast widely
upon a field.  Not all grow.

Oy!

Edg