Reminds me of the movie "A Stroke of Genius" which released last week on
DVD.  It is the true story of the guy who invented the intermittent
windshield wiper system and how the auto industry stole it.  In the
story when he first present it to Ford after he leaves the guy at Ford
asks his employees "how much does he want?"  The inventor was seeing
dollar signs though and did not sell it to Ford and after a couple of
years trying to manufacture it himself unsuccessfully his company
folded.  From my experience if a big company wants to buy your idea (and
Ford actually wanted to come out with the product and not shelve it)
take it.  This guy's failure was he didn't understand the problems of
manufacturing and you've pointed out how expensive it is to create an
inventory for even a small product.  He did successfully sue the
automakers but not after the situation caused him years or heartbreak
and family problems.