ruthsimplicity wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "claudiouk" <claudi...@...> wrote:
>
>> One aspect of MMY's teachings that seems hopelessly "unenlightened"
>> to me was his take on democracy, which he saw as socially devisive
>> and irresponsible. For instance he talked disparangely about the
>> Labour Party in the UK, believing that mere "labourers", totally
>> uneducated, were running the country.
>>
>> Yet some of his key political ideas seem oddly "democratic", eg:
>>
>> (1) Government = reflection of collective consciousness of the people
>> (2) Ideal Society = self-governing individuals, attuned to Natural Law
>>
>> I saw a video today where MMY again attacked democracy and praised
>> the Vedic division of society into four groups on the basis of birth -
>> albeit in terms of Jyotish rather than socio-economic class. The
>> whole thing just grates with me - also the gender divisions
>> increasingly apparent in the Movement.
>>
>> Just wondering what FFL participants make of all this (sorry if it's
>> been discussed before..)! Is it possible to argue the case for a
>> VEDIC Democracy?
>>

> You can make a case for anything.  The question is whether it makes
> sense.  I seriously doubt that the vedas and democracy are compatible.
>     Let's not go backwards.  I do not understand the romantic notion
> some people seem to have regarding the vedas and vedic times.
> Especially women.
>
> Now does anyone here really believe that Jyotish can tell you what
> your place is in the world?  From just knowing your birth time?  Stand
> up and be counted.
I've never seen a horoscope, as long as the proper birth time is given,
not indicate what field the person will be most successful in.  They
usually already have inclinations towards those fields.   What is your
experience in doing horoscope readings?

We don't like to admit to class systems which is what we call "castes"
in the west but they DO exist.  I would just argue that you aren't
locked into a class at birth though it may be easier to survive within
that class framework.  And in India they didn't often marry outside
their caste so we might find that genetically they would be inclined
towards a certain roll in society.  But mixed caste parents might
provide a less clear genetic inclination.