I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and I found it shocking at the time --
maybe even now I would be shocked.

Why?  Cuz, satire or not, the book delights in the misery of others who are
merely innocent bystanders.

In one scenario, Hunter is stoned on several drugs and a cleaning lady enters
his motel room, and he takes her hostage.  Eventually he "makes it right with
her" by telling her that he's a cop and undercover and thanks for helping him
out, but she was terrified to the max without her permission and, indeed, there
is no rationale for the abusing of her.  It was gratuitous violence that
Hunter, as the author, doesn't reveal for its human repercussions -- like
"setting a cat's tale on fire and laughing at it" is what a mean kid could do
and never have any compassion for the cat.  Just so, Hunter mindfucks various
characters and expects the reader to be okay with the sheer anarchy and
malevolence of his protagonist.

His main guy is okay with taking the drug adrenochrome which supposedly can
only be gotten by killing a human being.

Puke on that shit.

Depravity and humor just do not mix all that well.

Edg