--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:

> [...]

*********

I look forward to a lot of progress in battery tech. GM is feeling confident
even about current battery tech, planning on a 10 Year warranty on the Volt's
battery pack (assuming GM and expensive projects like Volt survive its probable
bankruptcy filing...):

"GM vice-chairman Bob Lutz recently told Cars.com that the current battery pack
prototypes are "performing flawlessly" even in harsh testing environments. He
said however that "longevity is the unanswered question".

GM has previously said they expect to warranty the Volt batteries for 10
years/150,000 miles. In this new interview Lutz said "We're being conservative
on battery life. For our cost calculations we're assuming each car will need a
replacement during the warranty period."

http://snipurl.com/ed8p5  [gm-volt_com]
*

I'd feel a lot better about electric cars if we were more like the French, who
get ~4/5 of their electricity from nuclear plants, while the US only gets ~1/5.
I don't see the ecological advantage to powering cars off of power mostly
generated by coal-fired power plants.
http://snipurl.com/ed98m  [www_instituteforenergyresearch_org]