On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> And what happens when the network goes down?  I think that was the issue
> others raised here.  Are you saying it is a good idea for businesses who
> find their employees playing around too much on their desktops and some
> more like a dumb terminal will get work done.  That might be a little
> short sighted because sometimes employees need to access the Internet.
> When I go to Hollywood Video the store has an ancient database system
> which looks like its running Turbo Pascal.  They can't access their own
> company website to answer a question for a customer.

I guess we're having a failure to communicate here.  You are thinking
about replacing PCs and perhaps enterprise servers with the cloud and
dumb terminals.  Plug in dumb terminals and go.  I am looking to
architect a massive ecommerce solution which will scale with the
seasons and other factors.  We're looking at a totally self-contained
solution with a big pipe in and a big pipe out.  It differs from using
a typical hosting service in that a hosting services doesn't offer
quick growth/shrinking of servers and a hosting service doesn't
typically host every part of the solution.

What happens if the network goes down?  That's what virtual IPs and
co-location/replication are for.  Have kind of bumpless, kind of
automatic failover from Japan to Scotland.   That's assuming failover
is needed.  Redundant NICs and interconnects are pretty common these
days.  And what goes on within the cloud?  Well, that's FM where the M
stands for magic.