I am the eternal wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> And what happens when the network goes down?  I think that was the issue
>> others raised here.  Are you saying it is a good idea for businesses who
>> find their employees playing around too much on their desktops and some
>> more like a dumb terminal will get work done.  That might be a little
>> short sighted because sometimes employees need to access the Internet.
>> When I go to Hollywood Video the store has an ancient database system
>> which looks like its running Turbo Pascal.  They can't access their own
>> company website to answer a question for a customer.
>>

> I guess we're having a failure to communicate here.  You are thinking
> about replacing PCs and perhaps enterprise servers with the cloud and
> dumb terminals.  Plug in dumb terminals and go.  I am looking to
> architect a massive ecommerce solution which will scale with the
> seasons and other factors.  We're looking at a totally self-contained
> solution with a big pipe in and a big pipe out.  It differs from using
> a typical hosting service in that a hosting services doesn't offer
> quick growth/shrinking of servers and a hosting service doesn't
> typically host every part of the solution.
>
> What happens if the network goes down?  That's what virtual IPs and
> co-location/replication are for.  Have kind of bumpless, kind of
> automatic failover from Japan to Scotland.   That's assuming failover
> is needed.  Redundant NICs and interconnects are pretty common these
> days.  And what goes on within the cloud?  Well, that's FM where the M
> stands for magic.

Okay,  until now we don't know what kind of application you were looking
to do.  I'm not a business software developer.  I'm way too right
brained for that and would find it boring anyway.  Yet it also sounds
like you are building something for a solution "to big to exist."  Just
how big is "massive" in this context? :-)

Then I also see companies like Comcast that from what I can tell are
running on a multitude of legacy database systems (just to save money)
which won't link up hence leaving the customer often at a loss if they
want to inquire what their actual cable package is, are the new channels
going to be added to that package or what package will they be added to
or why do I have this item on my bill that shouldn't be there?  Often
the only people that know  are the folks at the "headend" where all the
controls for the programming goes out on the system where you are.  And
they are like kings in their fiefdom and the CSRs act like they are
terrified to contact them.  This little cost saving initiative by their
suits makes them look like one of the worst run companies in the US.

Such is the business world and why "suits" are on the third rung of the
caste system. ;-)