> In a message dated 7/2/05 2:28:04 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> It also  says IRC and UN figures
> show just under 100,000 Iraqi civilian  casualties.
>
> Just remember the word casualty can mean any medical attention
> given from a band aid to a death certificate. I think  John Kerry
> had a few  of those band aids and got purple hearts for  them.

Right, but when you restore the context that was snipped (by you?),
it's clear the figure applies to deaths:

"A review of many foreign news sites show that actual deaths
are far higher than the newly reduced ones. Iraqi civilian
casualties are never reported but International Red Cross, Red
Crescent and UN figures indicate that as of 1 January 2005, the
numbers are just under 100,000."

The estimate of 100,000 deaths may actually have come from a study
published last year in the British medical journal The Lancet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3962969.stm

The estimate's accuracy has been questioned, needless to say, but it
isn't a figure just pulled out of the air by a propagandist.

It should also be noted that the estimate is of all excess deaths
related to the war, not just deaths directly attributable to combat-
type operations.  Fifty-one percent were due to violence, and most of
those were from air strikes by coalition forces.