<snip>
> Judy's ENTIRE position can be summed up in
> her own words below:
>
> > Trusting your experience is fine. Having an aha
> > moment in which you know you don't believe is fine.
> >
> > What's *not* fine, IMHO, is including in that aha
> > moment of knowledge about your own lack of belief
> > the "knowledge" that other people are "feeding off
> > of each other's hysteria."
> >
> > That's just a way to make yourself feel better
> > about your inability to have good results.

Actually, if it summed up my ENTIRE position, I
wouldn't have gone on to write what Barry carefully
snipped (because if he hadn't snipped it, what he
went on to say wouldn't have made any sense).

Here's the rest of what I said:

-----
We don't know why some people get results and some
don't. But that some people don't get results does
*not* automatically mean that all the others aren't
really getting results either.

Sometimes life just ain't fair. Sometimes it's really,
really complicated and ambiguous and contradictory,
and we can't sort it out into neat little piles.
Sometimes it's more like quantum mechanics than
Newtonian mechanics. (That's an *analogy*, not an
equivalence.) And we're stuck with it.

Unlike you, BTW, I grew up without faith. Sometimes
I think it would be nice to have faith, but it doesn't
seem to be anything I'm able to cultivate. So I go by
my own experience and by what makes sense to my
intellect.

Despite my lack of experience of faith, though, I
don't look at those who do have it and assume they're
just hysterical. Rather, I assume they are capable of
having an experience for which, for whatever reason,
I'm not wired. There are enough other things in my
life that give me satisfaction that I don't miss it.
-----

The interesting thing is that in any other context,
Barry would have been dumping on the person who
claimed that because they weren't having a
particular set of experiences, therefore nobody
else was either.

I mean, just *imagine* his righteous wrath if someone
had claimed that because they didn't see Rama
levitating, it meant that those who did were only
"feeding off each other's hysteria."

Barry's got nuthin' on the right-wingers as far as
hypocrisy is concerned.