--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard M" <compost...@...> wrote:

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
>
> > I don't believe that causality is ever experienced.  It is
> > belief that bridges the cause and the effect in a person's mind.
>
> Very elegantly put.
>
> But it leads to a wicked thought. Doesn't that make the idea of
> "causality" and "scientific law" as much a PROJECTION on to the
> shit that happens as is, say, the idea of deities, sprites, spirits,
> and other "superstitious" what-not? They're just alternative
> "language games" for the same thing (stuff-that-happens)? You
> choose the one that floats your boat best down the shit stream. But the
> one you choose is not necessarily TRUE, it's just the one that's more
> or less able to get you from your chosen A to your chosen B?
>
> Curtis -  I thought you had a more progessive epistemology than that!

Scientific choices are not as random as that. Humans have been at it long
enough to no longer need to use characters from literature as starting points
for theories. This shift is historically called the "enlightenment" which makes
Maharishi's misuse of his "Age of Enlightenment"  which proposes going back to
the pre-reason model, all the more ironically absurd.

You fill in the gaps as best as you can in the scientific method.  You give
more or less weight to different descriptions as you discover if it applies to
more areas that strengthen the overall theory. Then you test the shit out of
all the falsifiable theories you can conjure up.  Occasionally very good
evidence that cannot be denied comes along and blows your theory up, and a new
model is necessary to explain it and what you have discovered before.  This is
happening less and less, not more and more in science, because we do understand
some stuff pretty well and we are building on that.

Probability, statistics, and vaguely worded unfalsifiable predictions give
Yagyas all the wiggle room needed for people who already "know" their effect
and how they work to find all the evidence they need.  We have so many
cognitive gaps, and sometimes it is hard to face how poorly we are equipped to
test such claims, especially after we have paid for them.

And then you have A-hole scientists who sometimes subvert the process of
inquiry into a way to support the latest pharmaceutical, only giving the method
lip service(Not the kind that feels good) for some gold coins with "In God We
Trust" stamped on them.

And finally we have a complex mysterious world that has defied our ability to
achieve complete knowledge with absolute certainty and this makes some people
so nervous they turn to an explanation from a fairy tale to help them go to
sleep.

So epistemological humility is appropriate in facing the world.  But that
doesn't mean we don't know anything at all.  We just don't everything.  And we
always have to be on the lookout for things we KNOW that aren't so.  If we care
about keeping it real, that is.