> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "guyfawkes91" <guyfawkes91@> wrote:
> >

> Now ( *not* to toot my own horn or be "important"
> in any way, merely to provide a contrast for
> those who may have never experienced such a
> contrast ), try to imagine what it was like for
> me to run into Rama - Frederick Lenz.
>
> The man was *outrageous*. In all honesty I con-
> sider him second only to Robin Williams in terms
> of the quickness of his mind and the spontaneity
> of his humor. He could have had a career in stand-
> up comedy if he hadn't gone into the guru biz.
>
> As mentioned yesterday, when we had "celebrations"
> they were CELEBRATIONS. We partied down. We had
> "gong shows." We went to the movies together. We
> went to *Disneyland* ferchrissakes. We went to
> Hawaii and the Grand Canyon and Paris and Amsterdam.
> When we were in New York we had dinner meetings
> with everyone in tuxes and evening gowns at the
> Pierre or at Windows On The World. When we had
> public lectures we rented Carnegie Hall. We had
> "disco nights" at which our "house band" Zazen
> played and we all danced.
>
> In other words, it was FUN. Fun was, in fact, an
> integral part of the Way. It was Rama's contention,
> and remains mine, that if you are heavily involved
> with a spiritual path and you are *not* having fun,
> then there is something wrong. It may not be the
> path for you. His contention was that FUN is the
> body's way of telling you that you are *open* to
> higher spiritual energies and that they are flowing
> through you, whereas a *lack* of fun is your body's
> way of telling you the opposite. I still agree with
> this 100%.

I do too. In fact one of the things I agree with Marshy
about is that the purpose of life is the pursuit of
happiness. Kind of ironic considering I've been on courses
that were like The Invasion of the Body Snatchers and I
was the only one who hadn't been zombified. I was a newbie
then and just thought I'd fallen in with a rum bunch.

Not everyone is like that of course but I feel the flatness
myself sometimes, I don't like it and it's when I stop doing
the prog. It can ruin your social life for a start, there's
no picking up girls when you've all the charisma of dead moss
I can tell you.

Fun is what it's all about for sure. You can't evolve
when you're having a crap time and there's no point telling
yourself that something good is happening because it isn't.
I so often felt awful for ages after courses but believed
that it was the body assimilating the rounding. Maybe it was
just my body recovering. This is another promising area of
research for MUM methinks.

> Yes, the Rama trip was a cult, too, in its way. And
> yes, over time, some of the fun turned sour and I
> wound up walking away from that spiritual trip, too.
> But for most of the time I was involved with it,
> the organization *was* fun, and the students were
> obviously *having* fun. And that fun and energy
> were apparent to others; it was commented on by
> many people in other spiritual trips.
>
> > The other strange thing is that the extremists, who display
> > that kind of monotone speech most clearly, are often the
> > ones chosen to be the public face of the TMO. The lively
> > people are kept in the background because they aren't
> > thought to be coherent enough. So if a psychiatrist were
> > to listen to the intonation (not what they say, but how
> > they say it) of a public lineup of TMO spokespeople he'd
> > conclude that they're in serious need of help
>
> And he might be correct IMO.
>
> > Bizarre!
>
> Very.
>
> This discussion has been a valuable one IMO because
> it has touched on what the *real* reason is for the
> lack of interest in TM. It's not "the times." It's
> not Kali Yuga. It's not "not having enough pundits
> yet." IT'S THE TM'ers, STUPID!
>
> Just LOOK at the people that the TMO "trots out" to
> represent "200% of life." Anyone looking at them is
> going to see closer to "10%," if that. Most are going
> to react as Stephen Fry did, and with reason.
>
> Let's face it -- most of us started TM because we ran
> into a TM teacher who had some phwam!, some energy.
> Whether it was Jerry Jarvis or Paul Horn or one of
> the TM "golden boys" or just your run-of-the-mill
> initiator still excited about TM and *showing* that
> excitement, that is what people in the audiences at
> intro lectures saw. And they WANTED SOME OF IT.

Yep the guy who taught me had a pleasant profoundness
to him that's for sure. This might be the reason that
they were all so keen for me to do TTC when I worked
there, no not that I'm profound in any way just that
I still had me 'zip'.

> Who would actually WANT any of what is radiated by
> the representatives of the TM movement today?
>
> I mean, let's face it...the best they can come up
> with is David Fucking Lynch. That's sad.

I actually thought that Lynchee is a good advert for them
because no one can look at one of his movies and assume that
TM turns you into a soppy newage fruitcake.