> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > For the record, Nanda's work is not exactly
> > > universally admired, even among those who are not
> > > "Indian right-wingers."
> > >
> > > Just for fun, excerpts from Amazon reader reviews
> > > of her book "Prophets Facing Backward" (7 of 12
> > > reviewers gave it the lowest possible rating):
> > >
> > > "At the micro-level the arguments of the book
> > > seem reasonable. But for anyone who knows
> > > science, it is clear that the author does not
> > > have knowledge of the primary texts
> > > (presumably because she does not know
> > > Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian) and she has knit
> > > together fragments from secondary sources in a
> > > manner that makes no sense."
> > > -----
> > > "Apparently, she does not possess adequate
> > > knowledge of the Indian scientific literature,
> > > and she relies on summaries of it which are
> > > out of date or have been refuted. This is one
> > > of the three legs of the stool, and as it
> > > falls, the general argument becomes invalid."
> > > -----
> > > "The book attempts to somehow bind the post-
> > > modern critiques of science to the Hindu
> > > challenge to the Orientalist constructions of
> > > India. Given that the Hindu challenge goes
> > > back to at least Raja Ram Mohan Roy and Swami
> > > Vivekananda, much before post-modern ideas
> > > arose, this binding makes no sense. Also, the
> > > connections between Vedanta and modern physics
> > > have been advanced by great scientists like
> > > Schrodinger and Heisenberg and their more
> > > recent followers, therefore to see a Hindu
> > > conspiracy in this is unreasonable."
> > > -----
> > > "Gaps between human comprehension (natural
> > > phenomena) and human perception (observable
> > > phenomena) are definitely NOT something
> > > incompatible with science, per se. Science is
> > > limited in that it may only address the
> > > comprehensible, but it does not, in itself,
> > > imply any limit to the observable."
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/cpladm [amazon.com]
> > >
> > Of course, the reviewers may have their own axes
> > to grind. Heck, they could be from TM'ers.
>
> Well, *of course*. I mean, Nanda is obviously
> *completely* objective and without any
> conceivable axe of her own to grind. So any
> critique of her criticism of TM is automatically
> suspect. That's just a given; we all know that.
>

> > She says tough stuff, of course she is not going to be universally admired.
> >   It does sound like people are making a lot of assumptions, especially the
> > first two quotes you posted.  My personal opinion, from the little I read
> > of Schrodinger and Heisenberg on "philosophical" issues  (Ken Wilbur's book
> > Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists) is
> > that what scientists have said is frequently blown out of proportion.
> > And, their mystical writings are musings, not science.  To tie the Vedas to
> > science isn't science.

Huh?  I was speaking only to the quotes you gave. They didn't have any meat.
Where in the world did I argue that she was totally objective so critics are
suspect?   Read what I said. I said nothing about her objectivity at all.   I
simply was giving an "on the other hand" comment and pointing out problems with
some of the quoted material.   <sigh>