I agree too.  I went in 1996 for three weeks.   More like putting my toe
in the pool rather than taking a headlong dive and it was with a really
small tour so we got to adjust it to our liking.  I could probably live
there and in fact for a while my guru was hot on the idea of buying a
small modern cottage outside of Hardwar because his guru was going to do
that and I could do it too (for $5K).   But that idea never
materialized.  Also the whole area is so unstable you're more likely to
see nukes flying overhead than about anyplace else.   But I'd be up for
some more visits sometime.   The funny thing was the last time my guru
returned he came back early and when I asked why he said "too hot!"
IOW, he had become acclimated to this part of California and could no
longer take the excessive heat of Calcutta in this case. :-D