Who wrote this?
Hint: Speech delivered at the New England Society's Seventy-First Annual
Dinner, New York City, Dec. 22, 1876.

"...to do honor to the New England weather -- no language could do it justice.
But, after all, there is at least one or two things about that weather (or, if
you please, effects produced by it) which we residents would not like to part
with. If we hadn't our bewitching autumn foliage, we should still have to
credit the weather with one feature which compensates for all its bullying
vagaries -- the ice-storm: when a leafless tree is clothed with ice from the
bottom to the top -- ice that is as bright and clear as crystal; when every
bough and twig is strung with ice-beads, frozen dew-drops, and the whole tree
sparkles cold and white, like the Shah of Persia's diamond plume. Then the wind
waves the branches and the sun comes out and turns all those myriads of beads
and drops to prisms that glow and burn and flash with all manner of colored
fires, which change and change again with inconceivable rapidity from blue to
red, from red to green, and green to gold -- the tree becomes a spraying
fountain, a very explosion of dazzling jewels; and it stands there the acme,
the climax, the supremest possibility in art or nature, of bewildering,
intoxicating, intolerable magnificence. One cannot make the words too strong."

Read more:
http://tinyurl.com/2d6w33
http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/arts/twain1.htm