> That's called 'Buying a Stairway to Heaven,'
> or 'Paying cash for God.' Get a clue. It doesn't
> work that way, John.

It's pretty common knowledge that Guru Dev used
to participate in 'yagyas' during WWII; you can
call it anyhting you want to. So maybe you need to
get a clue: that's the way it works, John. You
already know this - how many dollars have you
tithed to the Mormon church? Why you're acting
stupid here is beyond me. Go figure.

http://www.rwilliams.us/archives/images/yajna.jpg

"According to Lynn Napper: "Guru Dev toured
all over India attracting thousands where ever
he went. His darshan was now easy to obtain,
but it came with a risk of lifelong attachment
to him. He conducted many ceremonies on special
days all through India. He was the center of
attraction at the 1942 Kumbhamela in Allahabad.
In Delhi he presided over a great yagya on the
banks of the Yamuna. Yousands of people came
to watch" (Napper 136).

"..the photo shown at the above link is the very
same one on page 37 of the Life article I cited.
Interestingly, the Life photo is a cropped
version (missing a bit at the top and a little
at the bottom). I tried to find a reference to
a photographer or photograph news agency
accompanying the photo, but there were none."

Read more:

From: Shemp McGurk
Subject: Re: Guru Dev's Mahayajna
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Date: January 5, 2003
http://tinyurl.com/ln85tg

"Yes, I insist that Guru Dev attended, if not
organized, the Delhi Mahayagna in 1943, and
with the help of  Mr. Raj Varma and his nephew,
Bal Bramhacharya who also attended the event,
sitting right next to the Guru Dev."

Read more:

From: Willytex
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Date: January 11, 2003
http://tinyurl.com/ln85tg

Works cited:

'Our Spiritual Heritage'
An Informal History of the Shankaracharya Order.
By Lynn Napper
Hesperdes, 1998

'Truth is One'
The Story of the World's Great Living Religions
in Pictures and Text.
By Henry James Forman and Roland Gammon
Harper & Row, 1954
page 12