On Aug 21, 2009, at 8:49 AM, raunchydog wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> Dying the cloth of inner happiness.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3047291.stm
>
> "There is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that
> results in the kind of happiness we all seek."
>
> Paul Ekman,
> University of California San Francisco Medical Centre
>
> Buddhists 'really are happier'
>
> Scientists say they have evidence to show that Buddhists really are
> happier and calmer than other people.
>
> Tests carried out in the United States reveal that areas of their
> brain associated with good mood and positive feelings are more active.

If, as TM critics say, we don't know what TM EEG brain coherence means and therefore we cannot say it correlates with better behavior, how can we say that we know what "activity in the left prefrontal lobes" means in Buddhist meditation and correlates with better behavior? If Buddhists "light up" only the left half of their brain and feel happy, wouldn't it follow that TMer's "lighting up" both halves of their brain would feel doubly happy?

They're not referring to EEG measurements, but PET and fMRI findings of the brain, in real time when they're referring to things "lighting up". We do know the areas of the brain associated with certain positive emotions and qualities. For some reason perfusion or blood supply to these regions of the brain increases, creating neuroplastic changes to these areas, the cortex actually thickens. Since these are lasting changes, it's actually as if these qualities are 'dyed" into their brains. Thus in depression patients, it's now known that they can even stop meditating and the alleviation of depression will continue, they become "resilient" since they've physically altered their brain for the better.

Regarding TM EEG "alpha coherence", that's probably the biggest sleight of hand job ever pulled. Alpha coherence in the range seen in advanced TM meditators, is actually within the normal range of healthy humans who don't meditate. In fact alpha coherence is so common in humans, it's not really anything special at all. The most interesting findings seem to be coming from high-amplitude gamma coherence which was originally found in Patanjali tradition yogis who could go into samadhi at will. In Buddhists that EEG coherence, which oddly connects the part of the brain associated with integration, continues even when these yogis are not meditating.

"And that's the way it is", as Walter Cronkite used to say.